\ Visualizing Evolution: AMI Meeting: Day 2

Thursday, July 17, 2008

AMI Meeting: Day 2

This was the view outside my window after I finished blogging last night. What a moon!
And here is the view from this morning. I love cityscapes!

Day two was long, and a lot happened. I'll have to go into more detail tomorrow about the presentations, including the HEART-THEMED MOTORCYCLE!
(Sorry it's blurry.) This was designed by Keith Kasnot (seen above) and Craig Foster and built by Paul Yaffe for the Arizona Heart Institute's Founder Dr. Edward B. Dietrich. It has some amazing details. Better photos, and lots of them, on Yaffe's website. Check out the tiny veins painted into the details, and look for the stent! More on that and the other presentations later...

For now, I just need to extend congratulations to Yona Gellert, who won a couple awards for her Paleo flash project "Brains, Bones & Behavior," and to Julian Kirk-Elleker who won for "Antibody Affinity Maturation." Both these projects (in addiction to their new media awards) were also awarded with the brand new category of "New Media Best in Show." Congrats guys! A few of the other 2nd years also won awards for their 2-D pieces, but I regretfully didn't take good enough notes. I will try to get a complete list of the U of T winners up here eventually to make up for that.

Another full day tomorrow. Up bright and early for a talk on molecular illustration. Charles Darwin speaks Saturday at 9:45 a.m. I am so looking forward to seeing what that will be like.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Hi Heidi!

I found your blog through the big list at Pharyngula. I want to say that I love what you're doing here!

Visualizing evolution and biology has been on my mind a lot lately. Clever illustration is likely the best way to bring difficult concepts like evolution, and simple (but inaccessibly jargon ridden) concepts from biology to the public.

Anyway, just thought I'd say Hello! I found you! And I'll be reading. ;)